Friday, October 18, 2013

Non Fiction Blog Post


In the article "Teen Fiction Plots are Darker and Starker" by William porter is about how teens can explore different themes and use it to help with issues in their lives. Throughout the article William porter provides examples and quotes to back her claim. She talks a lot about how YA books are becoming really popular and how YA books can affect a troubled teen. I agree with Porter. And I think that YA fiction is good for teenagers who are struggling with the same issues that are going on in the pages of her young adult book. These teenagers love YA books why not have them read them.

Some of the reasons why teenagers like YA books is that they want to read something more complex, want to be informed, obtain something out of reading a higher level book, and read something more realistic. For example, in the article, Jack Schmalzried said "I like books that look at the world in a realistic way, although I also read lighter books," This shows how teenagers like Jack enjoy reading books that have realistic issues and are related to the world today.

Another reason why teenagers like YA books is because it has to do with stuff going on in teenager’s everyday life. For example it says "these darker books reflect what today faster maturing students routinely see in their multimedia world," This shows how teenagers see all this stuff in there every day lives, so there use to suicide, blood, guts, porn, etc. In conclusion the article "Teen Fiction Plots are Darker and Starker" is a really good article that opposes articles like"Darkness Too Visible by Gurdon and telling them that it's ok for teenagers to be reading these books because one, they can get to read a book that has to do with world issues, it's realistic, and is complex so they can learn and get something out of reading YA fiction. Second, teenageers are used to seeing all this graphic stuff in there everyday lives. Now that we have the internet kids can just look up anythin. They are used to watching videos of war, terrorism, or just gorry things. Theses are all the reasons why It's ok for teens to read YA fiction. The author wanted to point out that YA Books are fine and won't do any thing to kids to make them do the dark things in the book. I realized that there really is no darkness, parents just say that because there are not use to reading such novels.

4 comments:

  1. You did a good job saying why teens like these books and the information the article gives. After reading this I learned why teens can read these types of books and what allows them to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job incorporating your own thoughts into the article and using background information to back it up. You have a great way of thinking. I agree with you, I do not see the point of taking away something that is so valuable. I like the point that you brought up about how kids want to read something that is more realistic, it makes it more suspenseful. I really enjoyed your post! Nice work!

    Tygerlily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackson!, I really enjoyed your piece. The way you included supporting details,central idea, and evidence was amazing! The way you added how kids want to read something that we can connect too more into your writing to support your idea was great. Good Job overall, Let's Go Melo! :)
    -K'Andre

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you took your quote and made a connection on how these teens are experiencing this in their everyday lives weather is happening at home school or just a day to day basis you really did a nice work with that and I can say for my self I did the same thing in my blog post
    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete